Between the cool winter weather and staying home more than usual, our heating costs are on the rise this season. Sure, we all like to cozy up, tucked in from the harsh winter weather, but the bills can really add up! But, not heating up your home properly is not a great option as there are many problems that can arise from this. Cold homes are more prone to mould issues, which reduces indoor air quality and can exacerbate conditions such as circulatory problems, diabetes, arthritis and asthma and even the common cold.
So what can we do to stay warm and healthy and not break the bank? Here are some quick ideas for you and your family to warm up this winter without breaking the bank.
- Find where draughts may be coming in and get rid of them, this includes doors, cracks in floors and windows.
- Check to make sure your insulation is adequate. Much of your heat can be lost with insufficient insulation.
- Try turning your heat down by 1°C, this could save you up to 10% on your heating bill.
- Help your air circulate better by moving your couch away from the radiator.
- Keep a steady temperature between 18 and 21°C and program your heat to avoid unnecessary heating when you’re not there or are sleeping.
- If it exists this winter, let the sun shine through your windows to help warm your home!
Looking to install more efficient electrical heating, radiators or even heated towel racks? Give us a call. The investment upfront always pays off so you can cozy up worry free. We’re happy to come by and look for opportunities for you to save money on your next heating bill.