With cooler weather approaching, our attention tends to turn away from all the outside DIY projects that kept us busy all summer and back inside where it’s warm and where you’re now thinking about upgrading your kitchen or finally doing something useful with the spare room. Perhaps you’re confident that nothing needs to be changed inside your home and you simply want to pick up some new hobbies or want to do a quick maintenance check ahead of winter. Whatever your plans are, Empower Electric has the electrical safety tips you need to ensure you remain safe and protected. Keep reading to learn how to prevent electrical accidents in your home.
Power Cords, Extension Cords, and Plugs
- Inspect all power cords and extension cords for fraying or exposed wires. Replace if necessary.
- Use the correct extension cord for the task at hand. Indoor vs outdoor extension cords have different amperages and can overload your circuits.
- Keep cords away from sources of heat and water.
- If you need to plug multiple items into an outlet, use a certified power bar with a three-pronged plug.
- Use only three-pronged extension cords outdoors.
- Do not run cords anywhere they can be stepped on or under rugs/on flammable items.
Panels, Fuses, and Outlets
- Turn off appliances and lights before changing a blown-out fuse.
- Replace fuses with ones that have an identical rating.
- If you have plug-type fuses, check them periodically to ensure they’re snug.
- For outlets located outdoors, use ground fault circuit interrupters.
- Watch out for unusually warm or hot outlets as this is a sign that the wiring is unsafe.
Electrical Devices and Appliances
- Always turn off small appliances before plugging them in.
- Always unplug appliances before cleaning.
- Unplug electronics when not in use.
- Keep all electrical devices and appliances away from water sources.
- Don’t cut wet grass with an electric lawnmower or cut the grass in the rain.
Trust the Experts at Empower Electric
For full electrical inspections, routine maintenance, and any other electrical needs that you feel uncertain about taking care of yourself, let Empower Electric help! Our team of professionals has years of experience ensuring homes are up to code and up to date. We’ll take care of any electrical projects you have—from pot light installation to electrical panel upgrades to EV charging station installation. Whatever your residential electrical needs, contact Empower Electric to get the job done quickly, safely, and efficiently.